Taste the real Krakow on this food tour of the best Polish bites and sites! The perfect balance of cuisine and culture for a truly authentic local experience.
- Visit a mix of Krakow’s different markets and squares, and learn how these gathering spots have shaped the city’s history.
- Listen to stories of Krakow’s past, as told through the flavours of the city’s different districts.
- Browse through fresh produce and locally made products in the city’s oldest market.
- Dig into an authentic Polish lunch in the colourful gastronomic corner of the Jewish quarter, and sample some of the best sweets in Krakow — trust us, you won’t leave this tour feeling hungry!
- Learn the differences between the city’s communist bars, local food corners, and elegant restaurants.
- Hop aboard public transit and ride the tram alongside locals.
- Adults 18 years old and above
- Children 6 to 17 years old
- Private Tour (2 person minimum) Starting price per person
Visit Markets & Squares in Krakow
Get a taste for local life with this sightseeing-meets-food tour that tells the story of Krakow through its markets and squares. Explore historic districts, see iconic sites, sample local delicacies, hang out in hidden cafés, and take a sip of that famous Polish vodka while learning why the markets aren’t just places to shop — they’re the soul of Krakow!
Local Impact: How you will help the local community by joining this tour:
- All the vendors and foodie spots we visit are 100% owned and run by locals, ensuring that local people benefit from tourism to their city. So any inclusions on your tour and additional purchases you make will directly benefit the local community.
- You will pick up some responsible travel tips that will help you to be a greener traveller while you’re in the city.
Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide, tram tickets, variety of Polish snacks and beverages (both alcoholic and non–alcoholic), lunch.
Exclusions: Additional food and drinks, items of a personal nature, transportation to and from the meeting and endpoints, tips/gratuities for your guide.
- Duration: 4.5 hours
- Meeting point: 1 Dluga Street (ul. Dluga 1, at the corner of Dluga and Basztowa) by the entrance to Pod Globusem bookshop
- Find the exact meeting point with what3words: ///definite.madness.figs
- Starting time: 10.00 AM
- Ending point: Tram stop in front of Wawel Castle. From there, we can show you how to get back to the city centre via local transport.
Krakow’s squares and markets are much more than a place to shop for groceries. For locals, they are an experience: places to meet with friends (or flirt with lovers!), to swap stories and the latest gossip, to eat, to shop for local delicacies, and for families to come together. Each square of the city is a little different; one gives you the opportunity to see monuments, another to buy something special, or another to find a great variety of local culinary products. They all have different smells, tastes, and colours and are well worth discovering while you’re in Krakow.
On this Krakow tour, you’ll be getting it all: it’s sightseeing with flavour! You’ll learn about the city’s different districts, see iconic monuments, learn about Krakow’s history, and taste the treats of Krakow’s neighbourhoods. And running throughout it all, you’ll discover how the markets and squares have played a starring role in the city’s past and present.
You’ll start your tour with a short wander around locals’-favourite market, Kleparz. Here, you’ll find a rich variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as typical Polish products like smoked sheep’s cheese, known as oscypek — trust us, it’s a must-try! Enjoy a cascade of colours and fragrances as you explore this market and all the flavours beloved by Krakow residents.
The Main Market Square is the heart of the city and holds some of Krakow’s most important monuments and stories. Today, Krakow may have almost a million inhabitants, but its true soul can best be discovered in the small neighbourhoods that were once settlements and villages, that have since merged into the city today — and the Main Market is the biggest of these neighbourhoods.
We’ll then take a tram ride alongside locals to our next attraction: the Jewish Market in the historic district of Kazimierz. You’ll feel like you’ve entered another time, and just to keep that feeling going, we’ll head to the nearest pub to sample some famous Polish vodka and listen to stories about the area’s past and present.
Next up, we’ll head to the Jewish Square, which is the perfect place to observe local life in action, as people wander through to find the best spots for lunch. And that is exactly what we’re going to do here, too! Practice your Polish and grab a bite to eat from any of the many intriguing food stalls.
After lunch, we’ll explore a former Jewish district and grab a local beer at Wolnica Market. Rested up, we’ll then take a slow walk along the city’s only pedestrian bridge, Kladka Bernatka, to reach the opposite bank of the Vistula River, where the Podgórze district is situated. It’s definitely less touristy than all the places we’ve seen thus far — here you’ll find lots of communist milk bars, interesting shops, and galleries where time seems to have stopped years ago. After visiting some hidden spots, you’ll get to dig into a variety of Polish sweets as we make our way to our final market. Best of all, we’ll finish up in the nearby hills, where you’ll discover the best and least-known panoramic view of Krakow.
Finally, we’ll hop back on local transit and take a tram to the Wawel area. From there, you’re free to head back to your hotel or spend some time exploring Krakow’s Royal Way.
Dress standard: Please wear comfortable shoes for walking.
Your Trip: For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We’ll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
Child Policy: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page.
Mr. Tereza M. from Czech Republic travelled on 30 Aug 2019:
What a great tour with truly amazing guide! This tour gave us historical and cultural overview of the city of Krakow in approx. 4 hours. We learned so much. The guide Tomasz was full of knowledge, fun, personable, attentive, caring and very passionate about his town. We visited places, we would not find ourselves. We tried delicious food, we would not taste ourselves. That a fun tour and amazing experience! Truly worth the money! Definitely recommend! We had another tour with Olga after it was all about traditional delicious local food (Krakow Food by Foot tour). We loved the food and Olga´s lovely company as well. You, guys, rock!
Mr. Jerome C. from USA travelled on 26 Jan 2017:
The guide was excellent, would like to do another outing with him.